The Probate Court of Peach County issues firearms Licenses to all qualified persons who are residents of Peach County. A license to carry authorizes a person to carry a handgun on or about his person, openly or in certain concealed positions. These include: in a shoulder or waist belt holster, hip grip, or similar device, handbag, purse, attaché case, briefcase, or other closed container. Licenses are valid for five years. At least two months before your license expires, you should go to court to apply for renewal.
When you arrive at probate court, you'll need an official form of identification, your payment, and a self-addressed envelope. County probate judges may restrict state residents with criminal records from getting licenses.
If you've been in a mental hospital or drug treatment center within the last five years, you must ask that your county probate court judge approve your license application. The judge will seek a recommendation from the superintendent of your hospital or treatment center, and then determine whether it's safe for you to carry a gun.
Requirements –All Applicants
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must be a resident of Peach County
- A picture identification including applicant’s physical address is required. Other documents to prove domicile in this county may include voter registration, vehicle registration, and or utility bill.
- Military persons must bring a copy of their papers showing they are stationed at RAFB if they have not changed their driver’s license.
- Foreign nationals must bring INS resident card. If you are a naturalized US citizen, you should bring your naturalization papers.
- Applications must be filled out in the office of Probate Court.
- You will have to go to the Sheriff’s Department to get fingerprinted to send to the FBI and GCIC. They are located at 1007 Spruce Street Extension, Fort Valley, Ga. 31030.
- In order to keep you permit current, it will be necessary for you to apply for a new permit every 5 yrs. Please bring your current permit along with your valid driver’s license. Your driver’s license should reflect your correct Peach County address.
- If you have a current Permit, you may come in 90 days before your expiration date or by no later than 30 days after you expiration date to renew your Permit.
- New Applicants: $73.25
- Renewal Applicants: $30.00
- Cash, Money Orders, and Checks are accepted. Credit/debit card is also accepted with a 4.5% fee.
What states does Georgia share firearms license reciprocity with?
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming all recognize Georgia-issued firearms licenses. You should acquaint yourself with firearms restrictions in those states when possible.